Wednesday 24 July 2013

I think every part of me is exotic: Priyanka Chopra

I think every part of me is exotic: Priyanka Chopra



There is something about Priyanka Chopra. Be it her films or her singles, whatever she touches becomes an instant hit. Sreya Basu in conversation with the actress in Mumbai

Now that your international single Exotic - featuring American rapper Pitbull is topping music charts worldwide, tell us what makes you exotic?
I think every part of me is exotic.

Which Indian singers inspire you?
There are a lot of people who I like in terms of their voices and music. I love Alisha Chinoi and Shreya (Ghosal). There are also a lot of guys I like (as singers).

What quality do you look in a singer when it comes to picking a favourite?
I love voices that have interesting tones.


Now that you have set a trend in Bollywood with your international singles, do you think other Indian actresses will also come up with similar ventures?
I hope so ... if they can sing. In India, our culture is that we actors don't have to sing for our movies. We have done it for 100 years and it has been very successful. So it's fine.

But then, there are a lot of actors who have doubled it (as singer) like Mr (Amitabh) Bachchan, Abhishek (Bachchan). There are so many people in Bollywood who have tried it, done it and it was fun. But then, I don't think we should put in that pressure of singing our own playback, especially when it is going on so well without us singing for ourselves.

What does you family have to say about your experimentations?
My family is my spine. My family is always supportive as long as I am honest to who I am. I am not someone who is pretentious or someone who has double standards, nor I am a hypocrite. If I do something, I do it with conviction, or else I don't do it.


Don, Don 2, Agneepath, Shootout at Wadala and now Zanjeer, you seem to have a fascination for gangster film.
Who is not fascinated with gangster films? I love gangster films. And it's not just limited to Bollywood. Have you seen the amount of gangster movies made in Hollywood? Victory of good over evil is the oldest and the most interesting tales that you can tell anyone. Movies are all about entertainment and I am in the business, so why not?

You are the damsel in distress in Krrish 3. How was the experience of being a part of the sequel to Krrish (2006)?
Well, I am a superhero's lady in the film, so I felt like a super girl all the time while shooting for Krrish 3; more so, if you would have seen my schedule, you would have known that only a super girl could accomplish that. I am hoping big on this film. Be it the VFX (visual effects) we used in this film, or the soulful story, I am sure Krrish 3 will be a huge step forward for Indian cinema.


You are building muscles for a biopic on Indian boxer Mary Kom.
Yes, and now no one can dare mess with me. Jokes apart, every year I want to do a film that will encourage me as a human being. Mary Kom will be such a film. As everyone knows the film is inspired by Mary Kom who is a really sweet person. I have met her several times and no one will believe that this girly girl is a tough boxer inside the ring.

No comments:

Post a Comment