Friday 29 March 2013

I will surrender in the given time, Sanjay Dutt




Exactly one week after the Supreme Court gave its verdict; Sanjay Dutt held a press conference outside his Bandra residence. He announced that he will surrender before the 4 week time that he has been given.
 During the press conference, he broke down and was heard saying, “I have not applied for pardon. There are many others who deserve it. All I want to say is that I am a law-abiding citizen of this country; with folded hands I want to tell the media and people.
When I am not going for a pardon, there is no debate about it. Right now, I am a shattered man. I have the highest respect for the honorable Supreme Court. I will surrender when the time is given. I love my country and I love the citizens of my country. I want to thank everybody who supported me and want to say that I have a few days left and I want to finish all my work.”
His sister, Priya Dutt was by his side throughout and an emotional Sanjay Dutt even hugged her.
Sanjay Dutt was initially sentenced to 6 years in jail, but last week, the verdict was reviewed and he has to now serve 5 years in jail. He had served 18 months in jail before he received bail. He was acquitted for the possession of arms during the 1993 serial bomb blasts. Even though the pistol and rifle were supplied to him by the men who were the master minds behind the bombings, the actor has maintained that he was not aware of the bombings that were being planned by them. His father being Hindu and mother Muslim, he said that he had taken those arms for the security of his family, since they received threat calls during the sectarian riots.
While it is been speculated that he will surrender in April first week, the actor will finish off work on ‘Zanjeer’, which in slated for release later in May 2013. No doubt that it will be a huge financial blow on the film industry, but he plans on finishing maximum work in these 4 weeks. He has 2 films that are complete, and a few more that are midway and will have to be delayed.
Although he is not applying for pardon, Justice Markandey Katju will continue with the request for giving Sanjay Dutt mercy.  He has already written to the Governor of Maharashtra.

No comments:

Post a Comment