Wednesday 30 January 2013

Controversy on my article nonsense, don't feel unsafe in India: SRK

Controversy on my article nonsense, don`t feel unsafe in India: SRK

Bollywood actor Shah Rukh Khan Tuesday termed the controversy kicked up the Pakistan Interior Minister Rehman Malik on his article as "nonsense" and asserted that nowhere did it imply he feels unsafe or threatened in India.

"To address this whole issue, with regards to my article, that has taken an unwarranted twist. I do not even understand the basis of this controversy. This is what can only be called 'nonsense'. It is Deja Vu all over again, " he told reporters at an event here.

Speaking about his article - a first person account for Outlook Turning Points magazine, published in association with The New York Times newspaper, Shah Rukh said that nowhere does the article state or imply directly or indirectly that he feels unsafe, troubled or disturbed in India.

"It does not even vaguely say that I am ungrateful for the love that I have received in a career spanning 20 years. On the contrary the article only says that in spite of bigoted thoughts of some of the people that surround us, I am untouched by scepticism because of the love I have received by my countrymen and women, " he said.

Malik had Monday said that India should provide security to Shah Rukh Khan, wading into a controversy triggered by Jamaat-ud Dawa chief Hafiz Saeed stating that the star could move to Pakistan following his comments on being a Muslim.

Shah Rukh also took pot shots at those who offered him "unsolicited advice", saying: "We, in India, are extremely safe and happy. We have an amazing democratic, free and secular way of life."

"In the environs that we live here in my country India, we have no safety issues regarding life or material. As a matter of fact it is irksome for me to clarify this non-existent issue, " he said.

He said 24 hours of unnecessary controversy is more than enough for everyone.

"Do not sensationalise and hence trivialize matters of national interest and religion any further and drag a movie actor in the middle of it all. Let me get back to doing what I do best - making movies."

On a lighter note, Shah Rukh made an indirect reference the answer he gives to his children when they ask about their religion.

"Sometimes, they ask me what religion they belong to and, like a good Hindi movie hero, I roll my eyes up to the sky and declare philosophically, 'You are an Indian first and your religion is Humanity', or sing them an old Hindi film ditty, 'Tu Hindu Banega na Musalmaan Banega - Insaan ki Aulaad Hai Insaan Banega' set to Gangnam style, " he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment